Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A New Town

I apologize to the few of you that come and read these blogs - I haven't written in a while. That's largely due to the lack of an internet connection, but also because I've moved. I gave up waiting for the phone to ring while I was in Idaho and headed down to Las Vegas about a week ago. I felt living where I wanted to work would give me a better chance at starting a career.

So far it's been a stressful job hunt. I've only been in town for about a week, but I spend many hours in the library researching and applying for jobs. I haven't limited myself to professional positions either - although I would love a PR job. The trouble is there are many qualified people out of work these days and jobs everywhere are scarce.

I've had several interviews for a variety of job types: restaurant server, office assistant, marketing rep...some of these I'm still waiting to hear back on. Today I got a legitimate callback on a marketing position with MasterCraft and have an interview on Friday! Think happy thoughts!

All in all I am in good spirits. I'm happy that I'm giving this life a real shot instead of being passive about my future. It was hard to leave my girlfriend Alicia in Moscow, but I needed to begin my life/career.

I have not given up in investing and I remain almost entirely invested still. Today we saw a huge rebound after yesterday's awful market showing. Economic pundits have begun to predit a bottom to the market, but I remain cautious.

I'm holding on to the couple of put options I own (through November anyway) because I think things may still go lower. But the moment I get a job and a paycheck, you'd better believe I'll be snatching up as many depressed shares of good companies as I can!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"girl friend Alicia" :) Maybe you should start doing this again?.. Coming from both someone who knows you pretty well and cares about your happiness and a reader of the blog.