Saturday, February 25, 2012

Holdings Update 2012


I'm a terrible blogger. I come around here...what? Like once every 10 months? Terrible!

But I mean well. I'm genuinely passionate about the stock market, and I remain an avid reader of all things marketing news.

My Motley Fool CAPS score has been wild over the past year. I briefly reached a 95 ranking, only to drop to 85 when I green-thumbed a number of silver stocks a bit early. I'm long on silver, so I'm not terribly concerned, and several of those green-thumbs are now earning me points and repairing my overall score to ~93.

These days I'm long on metals, energy, and Gorilla Glass.

If you're not familiar with Gorilla Glass, check out Corning, Inc (GLW). Their big revenue driver remains LCDs, but Gorilla Glass is the stuff Apple uses in their iPads, iPhones, as well as numerous other companies' products.

Basically the stuff is wonder-glass...it's break and scratch-resistant; perfect for touchscreen technology. It's also being used in TVs, kitchen appliances, and more.

Corning faces competition on a variety of their businesses, so do your due diligence, but I'm long on GLW and would recommend the stock. A healthy dividend yield will help while you wait for the stock price increase.

My other current holdings include: Melco Crown Entertainment (MPEL), Enterprise Products Partners (EPD), Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.B), Activision Blizzard (ATVI), General Steel Holdings (GSI), and Taseko Mines Limited (TGB).

Truthfully, I'm skeptical about GSI. I just doubled-down to lower my cost basis, but the company is woefully underperforming. Unless they turn things around next quarter, I'll look to liquid my shares and move to something better.

I will probably never sell EPD. Enterprise has consistently raised their dividend nearly every quarter, they are profitable and healthy, and the stock price has nearly doubled from my original purchase price. It's hard not to love that.

Other than Enterprise, I love Melco Crown (MPEL) and the success they've had in Macau. I still feel they are under-valued, and the last quarter's financials back me up on that. I'm in this one for the long haul until the fundamentals change. Las Vegas Sands (LVS) and Wynn (WYNN) may eventually force my hand...

My only other long-term play that I'll begin buying into with RM is silver. Across the board I'm looking at silver exposure for the next 20 year period. Silver has applications in technology that gold simply doesn't, and I'm concerned about domestic production reserves. Feel free to disagree, but I'm putting my opinion out there.

As always, any suggestions made regarding the stock market and individual stocks are my own ideas and personal opinion. Always do your own due diligence before investing any amount of money. And good luck out there!

No comments: